The Special Court created by the Federal High Court to sit over terrorism cases in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, yesterday sentenced a 22-year-old commander of the Boko Haram sect, Abba Umar, to 60 years imprisonment for various acts of terrorism. The court began sitting on Monday. At the resumed trial of other accused persons yesterday, Umar told the court that he would return to Sambisa Forest to continue the terrorism acts if he was ever released. Umar, whose look was hard and remorseless throughout the proceedings, had been in detention since 2014 after his failed suicide mission to a school in Gombe State. The Federal Government had preferred fivecount charge on the accused, out of which two attracted death penalty. In its judgement, the court held that
The Benue State governor, Mr Ortom who is also a member of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) revealed that Boko Haram has been rebranded into the terrorist group, Fulani Herdsmen but Nigerians are unaware, "The Fulani Caliphate in collaboration with Chad, Niger, and Mali have orchestrated a deadly plan on Nigerians and their Land. The Federal government, Presidency and the Fulani elders all part of it, including the Emir, are all part of it. Cattle colony is a pretext. Chad, Niger, and Mali are presently on a full-scale invasion of Nigerian territory. Nigerians must rise against it. The government now works with Boko Haram to kill citizens. I am an APC member but I must tell you this government has failed the people".
The Chairman of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Satomi Ahmad, made the confirmation to newsmen in Maiduguri. He also confirmed that “39 others sustained various degrees of injuries”. Satomi explained that “a female suicide bomber infiltrated the IDPs camp”. He said many were caught unawares as the camp had been peaceful for a long time. The official noted that the second suicide bomber detonated improvised explosive device at the entrance of Dalori residential quarters and blew herself to pieces. According to him, there was no casualty in the second attack. The chairman added that those wounded had been taken to the Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri.
Under the Operation Deep Punch (II), the troops with effective support from the Nigerian Air Force also destroyed equipment and make-shift accommodation around the Camp Zairo, Improvised Explosives Device (IEDs), booby traps and other devices. In addition, the gallant troops recovered 1 Gun truck, 1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, 1 Machine Gun, a Pistol, large quantity of Anti-Aircraft Gun ammunition, a 120mm Mortar Base Plate and a Dane Gun. This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman. According to the statement, the troops also neutralised seven Boko Haram terrorists and wounded several others. Impressed with the development, the Commander Sector 1 Operation LAFIYA DOLE, who is also the General Officer Command...
The Chairman of Madagali LGA, Mr Yusuf Muhammad, who confirmed the incident, said the attack was carried out on Friday morning. He, however, told Channels Television that security officials and local hunters are already on the trail of the insurgents. Kaya is one kilometre drive from Gulak, the administrative headquarters of Madagali which is one of the few frequently attacked towns in the Northeastern state of Adamawa by the terrorist group.
Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, declared Sunday that Boko Haram insurgents have been defeated by troops in the northeast. Buratai made the declaration at a special service to commemorate the 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day, held at ST Bartholomew’s Military Church, Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri. Buratai, represented by Maj.-Gen. David Ahmadu, the Chief of Training and Operations, Army Headquarters, disclosed that the military has won the war against insurgency. He revealed that the military had recorded successes in the intensified offensive, routed and defeated the insurgents, adding that the military was committed to the restoration of peace to the region. Buratai decried the insurgents recruitment of the teeming unemployed youths that lack moralit
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, on Tuesday released a new video, claiming responsibility for a number of attacks in North East Nigeria during the festive season. It is Shekau’s video in many months, amid claims from the Nigerian government, that the insurgent group has been defeated. “We are in good health and nothing has happened to us,” Shekau said in the 31-minute video message spoken in the Hausa language. “Nigerian troops, police and those creating mischief against us can’t do anything against us, and you will gain nothing. “We carried out the attacks in Maiduguri, in Gamboru, in Damboa. We carried out all these attacks,” he said. The video then shows footage from a Christmas Day attack on a military checkpoint in Molai village on the outskirts of the no
Nigeria's military troops on Monday foiled a Boko Haram attempt to invade Maiduguri and cause mayhem on Christmas day. According to a soldier, Boko Haram insurgents attacked Molai, a village of about five kilometres away from Maiduguri. The soldier, who was one of those at a checkpoint at Molai, said a large number of Boko Haram fighters were moving towards the town but were engaged by the military. A senior military source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Christmas day attack was anticipated and all military and security agents were put on red alert
The UK government has warned its citizens to stay away from crowded places in Nigeria during the Christmas and New Year festivities. It said there are plans by unnamed insurgent groups to bomb the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). In a travel advisory to its citizens, the UK government listed worship places, malls and markets amongst other places that should be avoided. “The risk of terrorist attack increases around religious festivals, so will be elevated in the run up to and throughout the Christmas and New Year holiday period,” it read. “Terrorist groups have threatened to conduct bombings and attacks in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja) area during this period. “You should avoid places where crowds gather, including religious gatherings and places of worship, markets, shopping
Heavy sounds of explosions were heard in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, Tuesday morning. Residents living around Zannari in London Ciki and University of Maiduguri area told DAILY POST that the blast occurred withing their area. Although information was still scant as of the time of filling this report, it has thrown residents into panic. Details later…