Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde on Friday repeatedly avoided questions on the Catalonia crisis. Catalonia’s regional parliament on Friday approved a declaration of independence as Valverde was preparing Barcelona for an away game at Athletic Bilbao in Spain’s La Liga. He told reporters, “Everyone has their responsibility. “I am the coach of Barcelona and I will try to have my team win. “I’m just focused on winning this match. “Its not for me to draw conclusions, but like everyone I have my own opinion on the matter. “But I would like to remain solely focussed on the sporting side of things. “Nothing has happened yet and so far we are talking about assumptions (about the crisis). “It’s okay drawing conclusions but let’s just talk about reality. “And the reality i
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger does not believe Barcelona could play in the Premier League if Catalonia ever gains independence from Spain. Tensions over the Spanish government’s response to the Catalan independence referendum have led some – including Catalonia sports minister Gerard Figueras – to suggest Barca could one day play in the English top flight. “Monaco play in France, in England Welsh clubs,” said Figueras. “I don’t think that UEFA has anything against seeing another club play in a different league from their country.” But Wenger does not feel that is realistic or desirable in resolving a complicated situation. When asked if he wants Barcelona in the Premier League if they leave La Liga, Wenger told beIN SPORTS: “No, because as soon as you disturb the geographical unity or co
Spanish giant, Barcelona Football club on Friday announced the capture of Ousmane Dembele from the German side, Borussia Dortmund. The club in a statement on its website said Dembele signed a five-year deal worth 105 million euros plus add-ons. “Dembele’s capture brings an end to protracted transfer talks by signing a five-year deal with Barcelona worth 105 million euros ($125 million) plus add-ons,” the Spanish giants announced Friday. DAILY POST had earlier reported that Dembele was set to complete his move from Borussia Dortmund to Barcelona after both clubs agreed on a €150million fee.
Andres Iniesta has warned Barcelona, that he could walk away when his contract expires at the end of the current season. The 33-year-old midfielder has spent his whole career at Camp Nou and new coach Ernesto Valverde had told him he would continue to have an important role this season. However, that has not prevented him from thinking about a move away from the club he first played for as an 18-year-old in 2002. “I’ve still not renewed,” he told El Pais when asked if it was an option to leave. “I’ve experienced a lot of sensations I’ve not known before, but I think they’re normal. It’s a scenario which three years ago I could never have imagined. “Let’s say I’m thinking about my future when before I wasn’t.” Asked whether he needed to be shown more respect by
Barcelona manager, Ernesto Valverde, has admitted his side were not as clinical as Real Madrid, in their 3-1 defeat in the Spanish Super Cup first leg on Sunday. Lionel Messi had equalized for Barca after Gerard Pique’s own goal opened the scoring at Camp Nou, but late goals from Cristiano Ronaldo, who was also sent off, and Marco Asensio handed Madrid the advantage ahead of Wednesday’s second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu. Valverde, who replaced Luis Enrique in May, feels the result slightly flattered Zinedine Zidane’ side. “I don’t feel we were as far away as the scoreline indicates,” he said in his post-match news conference. “[Madrid] were strong in midfield, which made it tough for us to play through the middle. They’re a side that run a lot and they use the spa
Marc-Andre Ter Stegen has agreed a new deal with Barcelona until June 2022. The 25-year-old’s previous deal was due to expire in 2019, but he is now set to sign a three-year extension on Tuesday. An official statement from the club reads: “FC Barcelona announces that is has entered into an agreement with Marc-Andre ter Stegen for the renewal of his contract until 30 June 2022. “His buyout clause is set at 180million Euros. “The new contract will be signed tomorrow, Tuesday 30 May at 13:30 at the offices of the club.” Ter Stegen joined Barcelona from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014 and became first-choice goalkeeper this season, following Claudio Bravo’s transfer to Manchester City. He has made 93 official appearances for the La Liga side and won two La Liga titles, the Copa del Rey